1. Fee payments to EPO bank accounts must be made in EUR and transferred without charge to the payee.
2. On the bank transfer, the payer must give the following payment-reference information:
- patent application number (not the seven-digit publication number)
- fee code(s)
2.1 European patent applications and international applications entering the European phase (EP)
The following nine-digit number and codes must be given:
Example: "EPXXXXXXXX.X, codes XXX, XXX".
Payers must give a complete nine-digit application number, including the dot between the eighth and ninth digits, and should make sure that no digits have been transposed. Also, the application number should start with EP and not contain any blanks.
2.2 International applications (PCT)
The following ten-digit number and codes must be given:
Example: "PCT/USXXXX/XXXXXX, codes XXX, XXX, XXX".
Payers must give a complete ten-digit application number, and should make sure that no digits have been transposed. Also, the application number should start with "PCT/country code" and not contain any blanks.
3. Payers are strongly recommended to make separate transfers for each application, to ensure, in accordance with Article 6(1) of the Rules relating to Fees (RFees), that the payment-reference field gives all relevant data to enable the Office to establish immediately the purpose of payment.
4. Due to developments in electronic processing at the EPO, bank payments concerning
(a) several applications, or
(b) one application, if the payment-reference field is too small for all the data (see point 2 above) needed to ensure immediate allocation of the payment,
must in future be accompanied by EPO Form 1010 or PCT Forms PCT/RO/101 and IPEA/401 and sent to the EPO by post or to its central fax number +49 (0)89 2399-4465 in Munich.
The automated electronic processes will improve the security, timeliness, quality and transparency of fee payments. Failure to use the above forms will delay processing considerably, although payers will not lose their payment date under Article 7 RFees. In such cases, since 1 April 2014 the EPO has however required them to resubmit the order using the standard form, to ensure proper processing.
5. Payments to replenish deposit accounts must be made to the EPO bank account at Commerzbank AG, giving the number of the EPO deposit account concerned (eight-digit number starting with 28) in the reference field of the bank transfer, preceded by the word "replenishment" (or "repl", if the payment-reference field is too small) or "deposit".
Examples: "replenishment 28XXXXXX", "repl 28XXXXXX" or "deposit 28XXXXXX".
This information will allow correct and timely booking of replenishments on the deposit account.
Date retrieved: 19 May 2021